Sunday, February 20, 2011

Customizations for our lifestyle....

Having two very different boys with regard to both tastes and attitudes, it is essential I create things in their lives that helps them understand I recognize and appreciate each of their individual personalities and uniqueness.  One of the simplest ways for me to accomplish this task is in the preparation of meals.  When I asked my oldest son Elijah to name some things I do to customize our world, his first response was the food I prepare for them.  One of our favorite dishes is macaroni and cheese, both boxed deluxe and homemade baked.  However, a constant intake of just macaroni and cheese can become very boring.  To heighten the pizazz of such a typical dish, I've began making macaroni lasagna.  Sounds complicated, but it can be one of the quickest meals ever.  When making our homemade spaghetti sauce, I have a tendency of making excessive amounts, rich in both Italian Sausage and Ground turkey.  It's one of those sauces you just don't discard if made in excess...so we freeze it and save it for incorporation into our macaroni lasagna.  On those days when we're working on minimal energy, I can grab a box of Kraft deluxe, some mozzarella, cheddar, and pepper jack cheeses and within 45 minutes, we're ready to have a very satisfying meal.  If we've had a big Sunday dinner that included some homemade baked macaroni and cheese, I typically save the leftovers for incorporation into a really cheesy version of the macaroni lasagna.  Its a 'good for the soul' type of meal that oozes with lots of both cheese and love...it's comfort food at its finest.

Another customization is our home.  Each room has a distinct and soothing feel to it.  People often remark of how comfortable our home is and when they're here, they're relaxed to the point of drifting off into a light slumber.  Between the aroma of french vanilla candles, to bubbling dishes in the oven, when here, you're always at home.  This comfort extends to the boys room as well, which is a reflection of my wanting to give them a solace that is all their own.  I've created a sky-like effect on their ceiling which has clouds billowing from one side to another and glow in the dark stars to give it that finishing touch.  It's a delightful room many children find themselves lost in for hours.

After talking to my children, one of the things Elijah says he likes to customize is his drawings.  He says: when I trace pictures out of books, I like to add things to it that's not on the paper I traced it from.  I do it cause I like to draw and when anybody else draws them, I like them to look different from theirs.  This makes me feel like a active drawer, like somebody in the books who draws better than I do, but cause I trace their pictures and add stuff I can get better in time...like I can draw anything in the world.  He also said:  my rockets are pretty different to just me too.  The rockets I create in boy scouts can be painted just the way I like without anybody else trying to copy from me.

While I customizations aren't on a grand scale, they certainly work for our home and gives each person that feeling of love and contentment.  For me, it's such a pleasure to see the smiles that develop when they know I've taken something and personalized it just for them.  It makes me feel like I'm getting a few things right in this all-confusing world of being a mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment