Sunday, February 20, 2011

Customized Lunch...

Mom:  I feel like I have 85% control over the lunches that go out our door each day because the gathering of lunch box items is often a collective effort, based on a specific set of options my boys have been given.  What I mean is, when we're preparing to grocery shop, I tell Elijah and Jeremiah going in the door what I'm willing to buy for the week and they can choose accordingly.  If their suggestion is something not on their list of options, then it's tabled for consideration at another time, but very rarely do I concede or stray from what it is I have in mind for them for the week.  If I know lunchables are on sale for the week, then the option includes extra lunchables, whereas when they're not, if we get them at all, it is in limited supply.  The dialogue connected with giving them the option to choose from a few selections makes me feel like I accomplished a few things.  One, I know my children are going to have the balanced meals I desire for them.  Two, I'm not going to encounter confusion once when in the store and we're both satisfied.  Because I encourage my boys to try a multitude of different food items, I'm always interested in how far they will venture if I give them the chance.  I don't ever want them to feel like they've been restricted with regard to their food intake and I want them to be able to develop their palates in a way in which they experience tasty things that make them that much more excited about trying the next new item.

Elijah:  When I open my lunch I get super excited cause I see food, food, food, that I really like to eat.  Mom lets us pick some of the things we get to take, so during the day sometimes I can't wait for lunch cause I know whats in the bag.  My friend Christian always wants me to share cause he says mommy is a good cooker, but I don't always want to cause then I don't have much left.  In summer camp, mommy would send me with extra sandwiches cause everybody liked them so much.

Mom:  One of the things I'd really like to see a company do is create sandwich lunches that include chips on occasion and are more conducive to children and their taste buds.  We've got lunchables in countless varieties and deli creations sandwiches which are more geared towards adults, but there aren't any sandwich lunches that are for kids.  While the boys have an eclectic palate, they still like their black forest ham sandwiches and Genoa salami sandwiches.  They're just not your basic bologna or turkey type guys.  They like turkey, but with a little added something.  Further, they truly aren't the specialty bread type kids either, so a simple kaiser roll or a bakery roll will do them just fine.  Foccacia and the such has no place in their lives, at least not at this juncture of the game, lol.  If this option existed, I wouldn't have to spend so many days a week at the deli counter trying to get the deli meats and cheese we can't get in the lunch aisle.

Elijah:  If somebody could make my food the way my mommy did, that would be so cool.  I don't like to eat other peoples cooking a lot cause they don't cook like my mommy does.  When she makes our sandwiches, she puts two cheeses on it and lets us have two types of meat a lot too.  I don't like the mayo and mustard on my sandwich and people always wanna put it on, then I don't want it.  I just don't eat it.  It would also be cool if I could have real pizza and fries or hot dogs and fries.  I would heat it up before I left for school and then have it at lunch.

Mom:  Ideally, I'd like a lunch that's offered in a bag or a box lunch that has everything they need from straws to utensils and napkins.  Now, if I'm going to include yogurt in their lunches, I have to make sure I place a spoon in the bag or otherwise they're unable to eat it, unless they become ingenious and turn it up like a cup.  I'd also like packaging to include the flexibility of being resealable if they don't eat all of their food.  A more comprehensive lunch would also be ideal; something that offers perhaps a small portion and a larger portion for bigger children who tend to have a bigger appetite.

Elijah: If I could make the things my lunch comes in, I'd put it in a square lunch box that would be red and white or red and black, the bulls colors and then on the front I would have MJ making a slam dunk and on the back I would have D. Rose making a lay-up.  It'd be called the 'slayup' lunch box.  On the inside I would want it to be able to keep stuff like pizza or hot dog and fries hot.

Considering the customizations we currently have in place, having the opportunity to provide favorite meals for the boys in a carrying container that would keep it hot for them, but have the designs of their choosing, even some original drawing from Elijah would be quite intriguing.  The entire concept of being able to keep hot meals, hot or warm would be quite an addition to the standard we've become accustomed to for lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment